Some of the links contained within this post may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. We only recommend or review products we feel great about, and work hard to help you make an informed decision.
Why There Is No Such Thing As A Boring Industry
Ingrain Social Media Tip of the Day #8
There is no such thing as a boring industry, there are only boring people…
When we mention boring industries, what comes to mind for you? If I try to think of the most “boring” industry, I think of a bankruptcy attorney or maybe an accountant or some other “behind-the-scenes” type job that I envision as isolated or lacking in fun factor.
In terms of social media content, there is NO such thing as a boring industry! Your job is to Educate, Entertain, or Inspire, and this can be done in ANY industry!
To illustrate my point, I have compiled a list of the most boring industries I can think of and ideas for fun, engaging content to illustrate that any industry can be cool online.
- Make fun, informational videos using animation that tell a funny story about an insurance disaster (think State Farm or Geico commercials).
- Create infographics showing industry statistics in a visually stimulating and attention-grabbing way.
- Make weekly or bi-weekly videos for Facebook and YouTube that:
- Inform people about common mistakes in accounting or taxes.
- Educate future accountants on the trade.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER:
- Write blog posts or create videos that educate people on:
- The dos and don’ts of job hunting
- Offer resume writing tips, sample resumes, or resume templates
- Put together an e-book or downloadable checklist for job seekers getting ready for an interview.
- Create humorous videos, photos or animations of the funniest HR fails or scenarios that happen in “a day in the life”
- Create time-lapse videos of the drawing or CAD process
- Educate people on the engineering process- what happens when they first contact you? What questions should they be prepared to answer? What should they have ready for the engineer at the first meeting?
- Educate people on how to get necessary permits- discuss common reasons for denial, etc.
Maybe you’re in another terribly boring industry, what kind of content can you create? There is ALWAYS a way to make interesting and engaging content, and being out of your element is no excuse. If you aren’t comfortable on video, then make a photo slideshow or consider hiring someone to do an animated video for you. If you still need ideas and help, read How to Find Your Social Media Story which outlines my top six tips for finding your story to make great social media content.
Where there’s a will… There’s a way
Mandy Davis is the author of The Social Sell: Your DIY Guide to Utilizing Social Media for Branding, Marketing and Sales, and a social media native with a passion for helping people take the mystery out of social media marketing.